Below are links to a number of interesting concepts and approaches to musical research. Hopefully they will help illuminate principles and tools which are important to the perception and performance of music.
- McGurk effect Perhaps the best demonstration of visual information affecting auditory processing. A classic example of sensory integration in the speech domain, this example helped inspire my work exploring the role of visual information in music perception.
- Diana Deutsch's Phantom Words An interesting exploration of the ways in which the brain attempts to find "meaning" in our physical world .
- Speech music mp3 Skeptical about the link between speech and music? Check out this fascinating example blurring the line. The fundamental frequency of speech from a phone conversation is doubled on the piano, which then serves as the melody for a jazz composition!
- Humdrum A fascinating tool for automated analysis of music.
- ThemeFinder A useful tool for looking up themes from a variety of musical works.
- Preserving Your Hearing - a short demonstration of the dramatic ways in which hearing loss affect speech and music. Very-important information for percussionists, especially those who also frequently use iPods or other personal listening devices.
[back to Research]